Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My Clean Kitchen



If you would've entered my kitchen 2 months ago, you probably would've been shocked.
It seemed normal to me, I swear. And maybe for some of you, this is your normal. It was my normal! And it had been my normal for 21 years!

But here is what my kitchen looked like....

1. The pantry was filled with cans of vegetables and soup, popcorn, chips, snack boxes of chip bags, crunchy bars, crackers. Boxes full of cake mixes and brownies mixes that I made almost weekly. WE HAD TONS OF SNACKS.
2. The window ledge had a huge sack of potatoes and lots of Sara Lee Bread Thins
3. Our freezer was STOCKED with frozen packages of french fries, tater tots, chicken nuggets, and pizzas.
4. Our garbage can was full of fast food bags and trash. Burger wrappers, fry containers, and soda cups were thrown in the trash and stacking up rapidly. We ate at a fast food place at least once a week.
5. Our fridge, ohhhh our fridge. hahahahahhaha, I'm seriously laughing out loud just thinking about what our fridge looked like before...hahahahah I can't stop laughing. Let's start with the door of the fridge...The top was FULL of butter. I bought 2 or three boxes of butter a week because I used so much butter in all of our cooking. We also had the LARGE size of all the thick and creamy dressings, sauces, and more. We had a ton of whip cream and ice cream toppings, our fridge door was complete junk. I used a lot of fruit and veggies in my cooking so that filled the bottom drawers. Our fridge was filled with Soda, Peach Tea, Iced Tea, and Milk. We rarely drank any water because we had plenty of other drinks to drink. We ate cheese and meat ALL DAY in everything. So our deli drawer was filled to the brim with pepperoni, salami, turkey, chicken, and 4 different types of cheese sliced. Our grocery bill was $200. And I thought that was good...


When I was preparing for the 21 day fix, I knew we wouldn't be able to eat like we always did. This probably wasn't the best way to get rid of the food, but rather than throwing it out, we basically gorged ourselves on food the night before we started! We ate and drank as much as we could to get rid of as much as we could.

What my kitchen looks like now....
1. The pantry is basically empty! I have lots of rice and quinoa, healthy flours and sugars, and a few vegetable cans left over from before (but I have yet to use them!) I use this space now to store extras. We have our olive jars and our peanut butter there too!
2. The window ledge has become the resting ground for our onions, just a small amount of potatoes, and all of our tortillas. We replaced our bread with tortillas!
3. Our freezer is simply full of meat (ground turkey and chicken, the healthy kind!) that I buy and don't use right away, so we want to save!
4. Our garbage can still fills up so much! But it's mainly with the meat packaging materials, or small bags of vegetables that I buy.
5. Our fridge... no butter! We use olive oil on everything now. We still have our dressings, but it's a slow process. All we have to drink is almond milk and water! Veggies and fruits stock the drawers and all of the shelves! Our meat and cheese for our sandwiches is limited and low sodium.

...and I spent $60 on groceries yesterday!


i thought I'd include a short snippet of my typical grocery list. Some of these I buy each week, some of them I buy every other week, just depending on how much it we eat :)

My typical grocery shopping list
1. bag of apples
2. bag of oranges
3. 2 cartons of strawberries
4. 1 bag of baby carrots
5. 1 head of lettuce
6. 1 container of minced garlic
7. turkey bacon
8. container of turkey lunch meat, low sodium
9. 1 bag of shredded mexican style cheese
10. 1 container of vanilla greek yogurt
11. 4 packs of 8 wheat tortillas
12. 2 packaged of 1 lb. ground turkey
13. 1 package of boneless skinless chicken breast
14. 2 Almond Milks
15. 1 jar of Organic peanut butter
16. 1 package of 18 eggs
17. 2 cucumbers
18. three green peppers
19. 2 tomatoes
20. almonds


THAT'S IT! AND I SPEND $60!

So, if you are trying to make your kitchen a clean eating kitchen, then I hope this list helps you out! It's a process and it takes time. YOU GOT THIS!


No comments:

Post a Comment