Saturday, March 28, 2015

Hi, I'm Alyssa and I'm an emotional eater

Taking a moment to be completely vulnerable, honest, and open with you all again. Because the support from you is overwhelming as I am in the midst of this get healthy journey!

This week was a huge slap in the face. Hah! I was supposed to start the 21 day fix again - and I did - kinda. I ate clean Monday and Tuesday. But I had a cold and had no energy and was exhausted so I didn't work out. On Wednesday, I totally broke my clean eating streak and this continued all the way into Friday evening...

I'm so lame.

But I realized one important thing throughout this week and it's that I'm an emotional eater. Not just any emotion - all emotions!

Something good happened? Let's go out to eat to celebrate!
I'm extremely tired? Let's get McDonalds
Stressed out a bit? Enjoy a snickers candy bar!
Worried about the future? take 2 servings of everything
Period not arriving yet again? You deserve two cans of soda
Frustrated with my students? Grab a cookie from the faculty room
Really excited about a potential job interview? Eat half a pizza by yourself


All of these things happened this week! Thankfully my eating was clean 80% of the day, so I haven't gained any weight (Thanks Shakeology!) But I realized something so important...I let me emotions dictate how and what and when I eat instead of listening to my body. As women, our emotions are consistently on a roller coaster (not to stereotype, but that's honestly just how we work.) Jared and I have discovered how emotions affects men and women differently simply by being married.

When something goes wrong at work, Jared leaves it at work, comes home, and doesn't worry about it. If I couldn't find the right outfit in the morning before school, I bring that to school, share it with every faculty member and some students, come over, aggravated, and take it out on dinner where I probably make a feast because, "I've had a bad day." Men tend to compartmentalize their emotions into sections of their day, where we tend to smear our emotions into our entire day (which can be both good and bad!)

I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest because I realized how much of an emotional eater I am! It's like, finally...a reason...that makes so much sense for why it's so easy for me to cheat on a meal plan. MY EMOTIONS!

So, my 21 day fix challenge group is starting on Monday and I have some amazing women in it and I plan on starting OVER with them again.

 Is it fun to say that I failed this week? No, but I'm failing forward! Is it reassuring to say I'll try again? Kinda, not really. But I have goals and did this 21 day fix before, so I know I can do it again! Jared will be on board with me and we'll kick some major couple booty! And I'm going to continue to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start again.

In the mean time...I'm kinda depressed because it's cold out, so I'm going to go eat pancakes covered in syrup.

kidding... ;)

(not kidding, it's the maple festival! But I'm going to eat pancakes because it's the Maple Festival, not because I'm sad that it's snowing at the end of March) But..on track tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment