Friday, February 27, 2015

Personal Development

I am falling more and more in love...
...with Personal Development.

I know I sound like that freaky lady that consistently reads self help books one after another, battling my way through life, trying to be the best I can be. And yes, I have become that crazy lady. I'm diving head first into a pool full of personal development.
improve awareness, strengthen personal identity, develop talents, enhance your overall quality of life, and get the skills you need for optimal self-development.--> However, rather than reading self help books, my personal development books are a little different.
I'm reading books on
1. How to enhance myself, not help myself.
2. How to enrich my self, not make myself rich.
3. How to make myself better, not become someone else.
4. How to bloom where I'm planted, not plant myself elsewhere.
5. How to...well you get the picture!


I'm not self-helping, I'm self-enhancing.
I always hated the term "self-help". I mean, yeah, it looks like you are awesome because you have the initiative to help yourself, but it also makes you look kinda sad...like "My life isn't that great, I'm depressed about (insert subject here), I'm trying to read a book about it to help myself."

Visit our website now http://www.iqdesk.net/iqdesk-2-0/My mother was one of those self-help people. She was constantly reading books! My personal favorite books of hers was titled, "How to Have a Better Kid by Friday" and it had this 5 day plan of discipline and structure to have better kids. HAHAHAHAHA, I still laugh out loud at that title! Like we were terrible children or something...haha But anyways, she had multiple books on finances, motherhood, wife life, and just plain out being positive ("The Power of a Positive Mom"). I'm not saying any of these books are bad - they stretched my mom, allowed her to grow, and changed her. I just didn't like the point she had to get to to start reading them. On days when she felt she wasn't positive enough, on days when she felt she wasn't a good mom or a good wife, on days when money was really tight and we didn't know how to pay the bills, on her lowest of lows, she turned to these books.

...I hated personal development and self help books for this very reason. I didn't want to be at my lowest of lows. I didn't want to feel sad enough, depressed enough about something in order to decide that I was ready to help myself. I didn't want to personally develop myself because that meant that I felt like I had something I needed to work on and work on badly.

However, coaching has been changing my brain about personal development. You don't have to be at a low point! You don't have to be at a high point! You could be completely mediocre in life, things are normal, life seems fine, and you could always use an empowering book to inspire you on!
Cadet leader development at the United States Military Academy (USMA) at West Point
I caved and bought a few recommended reads from my coach friends. "You are a BadAss" and "You're Made for a God-sized Dream". I purposefully bought them at the time I did because I was/am happy with life, I feel content, and I know that I'm not currently in my lowest of lows.

So, in the end, I'm falling in love with personal development because I've come to accept that I always have room to grow and be awesome! I think you should come to terms with that too.. :)


*DISCLAIMER** I am NOT saying that you shouldn't read these in your lowest of lows! I highly recommend it! I'm simply stating that I didn't want to be at that point to have to read them, and I realized I didn't have to be! :)

3 comments:

  1. I was always reading a lot of personal development books from different authors. But the main chance to success you'll get only when you will start doing things, but not only read about them. It's that simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! 1dayat-atime.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    personaldevelopment

    ReplyDelete