Thursday, January 15, 2015

Taking the Plunge: Spending money on a healthy lifestyle

I've only been a coach for a few months, but even so the biggest problem I've run into (which I'm sure even the best of the best coaches run into too) can be summed up into one sentence..."Wow, that's a lot of money and I don't think I can spend that right now."

That was me..

I was that person...

I said those same things...

That's why today I wanted to share a detailed look of "the moment". The moment I said yes, the moment I typed in my debit card number, and the moment I made the decision to spend an amount of money that seemed to me WAY to expensive for my wedding-planning, house fixing, just graduated-about to pay my debt -self.


I had actually reached out to a coach during my second year of college. I saw her posts, I saw her own fitness story, and I wanted to be in on it. Then I saw the cost. I saw the time commitment. I refused, I just couldn't. To me, this was impossible.

Fast forward two years and an engagement later and I was determined to get fit for my wedding. I had been running daily, but nothing much more than that. My teacher from my student teaching had just become a Beachbody coach and I was slowly watching her transform through her photos and posts. She became an inspiration and when I commented on one of her posts, she messaged me immediately trying to answer all of my questions. And obviously it came down to cost...

She was beginning a challenge group and the program was going to be T-25. T-25 is already a super expensive program as it is - $120.00...that's a lot. Since I had no money and I was engaged and planning a wedding, I obviously had to ask my fiance at the time, Jared. Jared was pretty much against it from the beginning, we didn't have that extra to spend...and he kept glancing over to my "workout" basket where I keep multiple DVDs that I've bought over the years with good intentions. So, I wasn't really gaining about brownie points with that.

After a few days of her giving me more info and me bugging Jared, I finally just bought it - without telling Jared. It came in the mail and he was upset - I was upset, because he was upset and I knew I shouldn't have done it. I'll never forget what he finally said to me, "If you want to take care of yourself and be healthy, then I can't be mad about that." I felt so relieved! I had his blessing to atleast begin a program!

Next comes healthy eating. Everyone knows buying fresh fruit and vegetables, getting the more organic things, and just eating plain healthy can be more expensive! But there are ways to save money and eat healthy, it just takes time. I remember my grocery bill being $200 for just the two of us each week when I started trying to cook healthier. It took a few months but eventually Jared and I figured out how much fruit and veggies we could eat, what we needed when, etc. and now my grocery bill waivers between $90 and $120 a week.

Finally, my shakeology plunge. Shortly after becoming a coach, I knew I needed to start drinking Shakeology. I needed to practice what I preached!  I had been avoiding Shakeology because it is pretty costly each month - $130! Signing up as a coach allowed me to get a discount (which was a benefit) but I finally decided that I needed to do this FOR ME. I needed to spend this amount of money on me each month to make me HEALTHY, FIT, and HAPPY.

This whole "taking the plunge" thing hit me this week as I try to build my team. A lot of people are afraid to spend that much on one thing. I was afraid too! I was terrified actually, and I almost felt selfish. In some way or another, our finances worked out. My shakeology and fitness expenses were covered by my coaching profit - and I was making a little extra on the side! I babysat for a little extra income and put that towards my shakeology. Now, I don't even notice when the amount gets taken from my account!

In the end, I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's worth it. YOU are worth it. YOUR HEALTH is worth it. I was you once, I remember not knowing if I could pay for gas for school the next week if I bought this workout program. But I promise, I won't give up on you and your results will be worth far more than the money it took to buy your workout program, to buy the healthy foods, to buy the Shakeology.
Take the plunge!

No comments:

Post a Comment